Saturday, October 14, 2006

The Temptation Was Too Strong

I believe I said I wouldn't cast on for these socks yet. I believe I got weak immediately after saying it and this is the result so far. Yes, I still have another sock that is waiting for a mate. I still have a Swallow Tail Shawl that hasn't been touched in days. But, I couldn't resist the pull of the new yarn. These may be my favorite socks so far; I have a deep love of brown and light blue together.

But this isn't all I've been doing since the last post. See the quilt the sock is lying on? That is my first quilt project and is finished except for the binding. I pieced the top a long, long time ago and it has been in a state of neglect waiting to be quilted. I tried to quilt it on my sewing machine but I quickly grew tired of wrestling the darn thing. It once again became the neglected project. That all ended when my MIL gifted me her Little Gracie quilting frame (mine is the original frame and not the new and improved one on the web site.) and her quilters dream sewing machine. This thing makes machine quilting quite easy. Here's a better picture of the quilt. It's far from perfect but I love it anyway. The first attempt at machine quilting before the frame resulted in some bunched backing. I didn't discover this until the entire star had been quilted. I chose not to correct it. There was just no way I was going to rip out all that stitching. The bunching on the back caused a couple areas of background on the front to pucker. The fabrics are leftovers from home sewing projects. Some were curtains, porch cushions, and throw pillows. When the binding is finished I'll display it in my craft room. It will be a constant reminder of what can go wrong if you aren't paying attention. My MIL has given me a quilt top she made recently to be my next project for the frame. It's a queen size quilt and will take more time to complete. Sounds like a good project for a cold, rainy weekend.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At Sat Oct 14, 10:32:00 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Wow - I would *love* to win that yarn! So so so pretty!

I used to quilt a little - it's really my mom's hobby. All the tops I've finished have made their way to a friend of my mom's to be machine quilted, then my mom finishes the binding. Otherwise, they'd be naked tops forever. ;)

 
At Sun Oct 15, 06:57:00 AM, Blogger Vera said...

Your sock if looking great and so is your quilt! I used to quilt as a child, but only by hand.

 
At Mon Oct 16, 06:23:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's quite lovely. Clearly, from the shot, the imperfections aren't visible. I'm impressed that's a beginning effort (I don't quilt).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home