Sunday, October 01, 2006

Socktoberfest


To kick off the 2006 round of Socktoberfest I present a finished pair of Verbena socks. This is the first time I have used a picot cuff and it is now my favorite. It makes such a nice neat edge and is much quicker than 2x2 ribbing. These were started a few weeks ago but I held off finishing them until now so that I could count them for Socktoberfest. Just a tiny bit of cheating on my part. After trying them on I noticed that one sock seemed a tad tighter than the other. Hmm, must have knit tighter on one. Nope. Gauge measures the same on each sock; 10 stitches per inch. Counted stitches on each sock and realized that one is 64 stitches and the other is 68. Checked my notes and I clearly wrote down that the cast on should be 68. Evidently I have a problem counting. The stripes matching up so well is purely accidental. I didn't really pay attention to where in the color sequence the cast on began. I just pulled out a length of yarn and commenced to casting on.

WIP Report: I have cast on for the Swallowtail Shawl (click here for KAL) from the Fall 2006 IK using Blue Sky Alpaca sport weight on size 7US aluminum needles (possibly Susan Bates). I chose these needles for their very pointy points. This pattern features p5tog and nupps. Hopefully these needles will be pointy enough to prevent any foul language when these little gems are encountered. I'm currently on repeat 7 of 14. I'll post a picture when I get a little further along.

4 Comments:

At Sun Oct 01, 10:09:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your socks look great. I have a sock to graft. I've also started another sock for Socktoberfest.

 
At Sun Oct 01, 12:30:00 PM, Blogger AR said...

Your socks are so cute. Where's a picture of the picot cuff?

 
At Mon Oct 02, 09:12:00 PM, Blogger ExpatCentral said...

Your socks look great! I've tried knitting and it drives me crazy, but I think I'm going to have to give it another shot just so I can learn to knit socks!

Sherri(NFL league!)

 
At Sat May 07, 04:06:00 PM, Anonymous Nomad Nina said...

Thanks for writing thiis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home